Losing your husband to a horrible work accident changes your life forever. Your family is no longer able to trust in his guidance, support or income. If your husband’s work place was negligent, then the family may be able to win a wrongful death lawsuit. Here are common facts you should know about Oregon wrongful death cases. Oregon Wrongful Death Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) After a loved one dies, grieving takes time. Meanwhile, medical and funeral bills may start piling up. A wrongful death lawsuit is intended to help address emotional and financial losses from a family member’s death. Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit? What is the statute of limitations? What compensation is covered? Oregon Law Vol. 1, Chapter 30, “Actions for injury or death” states the following: “When the death of a person is caused by the wrongful act or omission of another, the personal representative of the decedent, … may maintain an action against the wrongdoer, ….” The surviving family representative has the right to file a lawsuit in the name of the deceased. This must be undertaken within at least three (3) years of the date of the death-causing injury. Many lawsuits take time and a responsible family member should start collecting evidence (i.e. pay stubs and coroner’s death report) as soon as possible. What Can Wrongful Death Financial Awards Cover? While you are planning out the funeral and burial for your husband, you might want to know if a wrongful death lawsuit can cover the costs. Wrongful death suits can cover the full range of damages:
  • Medical costs
  • Burial expenses
  • Memorial services
  • Pain & suffering
  • Loss of income while grieving
  • Estate pecuniary losses
  • Loss of companionship
  • Punitive damages
Many of these expenses can accumulate quite quickly. A family should ensure that its financial future is well-established. A wrongful death can provide that protection. Gain Justice for Wrongful Death By discussing your case with a Berkshire Ginsberg attorney, you can ensure that the memory of your husband will be honored. Experienced caring attorneys can help defend your rights and find financial compensation for your loss. Nothing can replace your husband, but you can gain closure when justice is served. Call 503-233-6507 for a free consultation – get the peace of mind, you deserve.