Do You Know Your Bicycle Rights?
- Monday, 17 March 2014 16:10
Portland bicyclist need to know and understand their rights in order to stay safe; but bicyclist should also know when it is their right to pursue damages if they are injured in an accident.
Highlights of Portland Bicycle Laws
- Motorist must yield to bicycles in bike lanes: ORS 811.050
- Motorist must yield to slow-moving bicycles on sidewalks: ORS 811.055
- Fast-moving vehicles must give bicyclists a wide berth: ORS 811.065
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way on sidewalks; bicyclists on sidewalks forfeit many rights: ORS 814.410
- Bicyclists must utilize bike lanes if the lanes are present: ORS 814.420
- Bicyclists may occasionally operate in car lanes: ORS 814.430
- Bikes are not allowed on sidewalks in downtown Portland: Portland city code 16.70.320
- Bike helmets are required for bicyclist under the age of 16
There are many workshops available to bicyclists to become educated on the laws they must abide by and the laws that protect their rights. These workshops will only take one to two hours and will help you stay safe while remaining within the Portland law.
Portland Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you suffer an injury from a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you need to contact the personal injury attorneys at Berkshire Ginsberg. We will work side-by-side with you to ensure you receive the damages you are owed for your present expenses and trauma, and for any future expenses and trauma you may face.
our firm today for a free consultation.