If you’re in an accident and the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, will you be covered?

Auto Coverage in Oregon

If your automobile is insured in the state of Oregon, your policy mandatorily includes underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage, also known as UMC, UM, or UIM. This coverage is activated if you have been injured in a collision, regardless of whether or not you were in your car at the time of the collision, and the other driver:
  • Left the scene of the accident and cannot be identified;
  • Does not have auto insurance;
  • Does not have enough insurance to cover your damages;
In order to get Uninsured Motorists benefits, you have to show the extent of your injuries and prove that your collision was caused by negligence on the other driver’s part.


UMP pays for damages that exceed the limits carried by a driver who is considered underinsured. UIM will only pay up to the limits of your policy after subtracting the amount paid by the other driver’s insurance. This means that the amount listed as your UIM limit is the total amount paid by both insurance companies, not the additional amount your company will pay after the other driver’s company pays. Coverage applies to you and any passengers in your car, and to you and others listed on your insurance policy when in other cars.


Though many people are concerned that using their uninsured motorist coverage will make their premiums go up, it’s important to understand that if the wreck was not your fault, and you have not had repeated claims on your policy, then your premiums will most likely not go up. After all, you have paid for this coverage over the years, and you should use it when the time comes that you need it.

Call Us Today

Our attorneys have the experience to investigate your case and diligently pursue the benefits you are entitled to. If you have been injured in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run driver, do not hesitate to contact us at 503-233-6507 or by e-mail to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced personal injury trial attorneys.