Most Common Portland Pedestrian Accidents
- Monday, 24 March 2014 16:15
There are many factors that can cause a pedestrian accident. Some of the more common types of pedestrian accidents in Portland are caused by:
Most Common Maneuvers that Lead to a Pedestrian-Auto Accident
- Distracted drivers – texting, eating, applying makeup, reading and talking on cell phones cause a driver’s attention to be diverted from the task at hand. Even changing the radio station can cause a driver to miss seeing a pedestrian in the road.
- Confused drivers – if a driver is not familiar with where he or she is going, accidents can occur. A confused driver may turn the wrong way on a one-way street and hit a pedestrian who isn’t expecting a driver from that direction. In other instances, a lost driver may pay so much attention to road signs that he or she fails to see a pedestrian.
- Improperly designed or dangerous intersection – some intersections may have blind areas or improper markings that make it difficult for drivers to navigate.
- Aggressive driving – if a driver speeds or fails to stop at a traffic signal, pedestrians are often hit. Road rage can also cause a driver to lose sight of the road in front, which can lead to a pedestrian-auto accident.
- DUIs – if a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, their reaction time is severely compromised.
The Municipal Transportation Agency conducted a study that found the most common maneuvers performed by drivers just prior to a pedestrian accident involved:
- Right or left turns
- Driving in reverse
- Making U-turns
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a pedestrian accident, it is imperative to seek the expertise of a personal injury lawyer at Berkshire Ginsberg, LLC. Contact
our firm today to schedule your free consultation.