Getting in a car wreck isn’t fun for anyone. Even if it’s just a fender bender, it’s still a headache. But the real headache can come when you get the insurance company involved. How will they assess the damage? How old is your car? What will they pay for? But what if the accident wasn’t your fault and the person who is responsible doesn’t have insurance? Are you responsible to pay for the damages out of pocket? The Insurance Research Council (IRC) approximates that 1 out of 7 drivers in the U.S. has no insurance. This is disheartening, since an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver can mean major expenses that aren’t covered by a basic liability insurance policy.

What is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

According to, uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, or uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) insurance, will protect you and your passengers in the case of:
  • Medical costs
  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost income
This type of coverage is part of a car insurance policy and will also cover you or your passengers if you are victims of a hit-and-run incident.

How much does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage pay?

The majority of insurance policies make UM/UIM coverage available in a sum equal to your liability coverage. It’s wise to secure at least $100,000 in uninsured/underinsured motorist protection.

How do I obtain Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

In order to protect drivers who follow the law and obtain the insurance required by law, many states now require uninsured motorist coverage in their insurance policies to assist with expenses related to injuries resulting from car accidents with uninsured drivers. Drivers may also have the choice to buy uninsured motorist property damage that pays for damages to your car or other property in such an incident. Get in touch with your personal insurance agent if you are unsure about what your policy offers. Portland Car Accident Attorneys At Berkshire Ginsberg, LLC, our experienced Portland car accident attorneys are devoted to securing justice for car wreck victims and their families. We accomplish this by assisting with our valued clients pursuit of personal injury claims against negligent drivers. Contact our personal injury attorneys today. Call 503-233-6507 so we can get started on your personal or wrongful death case.